Monday, March 3, 2008

Meet the Parents

...I do so in 4 days. ::gulp::
What will they think of me?

Well, any how...I'm starting to feel that I am not very good at this whole blogging thing. It seems that whenever I'm down and out the ideal thing would be to flush out all my feelings into this here blog. But my problem is that whenever I'm down and out I feel totally void of all capacity to write coherent thoughts.

I had ubuntu tonight. For those of you who don't know what ubuntu is...well, it's sorta hard to explain but basically it's a feeling that can best be described as feeling for humanity. I didn't do very well in explaining it but here at school we have a dialog circle that meets every Monday and talks about diversity issues...and stuff. I'm so eloquent.

What we talked about tonight was cultural stereotypes. We spoke not of the intention of stereotypes (to categorize something unfamiliar) but their impact on individuals. I said I felt that even though certain stereotypes are perpetuated more than others, I think they affect us all equally. Now don't get me wrong (because some people did), I think certain stereotypes are INDEED more powerful than others. My idea is though that just because you are sterotyped as one thing (black, gay man, etc.) doesn't mean that someone else being sterotyped as something seemingly less powerful (white, gay woman, etc.) isn't going to be affected just the same. Any thoughts?

Things are a lot better with sorority life. I had a break down in meeting a few weeks back and just spilled my guts about how I really felt. To make a long story short things are getting better. We have our retreat Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday, it's K's birthday. I sucked it up and made a decision on my own finally to get her the Garmin nuvi 350. At least I think that's what it's called. Now I just have to figure out what to do about a card (I usually make them). Any ideas?

School is ok...falling behind a bit though. All in all I was feeling a bit down today. Didn't even go to work. But in short, me and K went and got donuts and she made me feel much better. That's all for now.

me

Positive Thought of the Day - Today was an amazing food day. I had a krispy kreme for some fundraiser, they had corndogs and pasta salad for lunch, they had captain crunch in the caf, dinner was meatloaf and funfetti cake (seperately), and then I had a donut. Yes-I'm a junk food fiend.

1 comment:

titration said...

Oooo. Interesting. Cant' wait to hear about the parents meeting.

So for a card, my only idea at the moment is that maybe you can give her a blank card but fill it full of lipstick kisses. :)